CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 30, 2009

Picture Perfect

(Editors note: OK, so the shelties and I are going to change things up a little bit. I know, I know. How can we change things if its only our second post? Well, after many discussions with the girls, and realizing that it is difficult to get them to really agree on anything (they are sisters, after all) I think that Im going to be posting about the trials, triumphs, and tribulations of the Rohan Shelties on a day to day basis. Now dont worry; the girls arent being left out. There will still be many sheltie interviews, but there will be even more silly stories of living with the worlds quirkiest shelties! Now, on with the show!)


Shelby's famous! My little girl, Shelby, just had her picture published in "Animal Wellness" magazine. The magazine is devoted to natural care of pets; they discuss nutrition, health, training and behavior and products to bring them all together. They're great advocates of raw feeding, holistic medicine and positive training. A few issues ago, they announced that they would be having their annual photo contest. They had many categories in which to enter, including: most athletic, best eyes, best nature lover etc. You could submit up to two photos pet pet, and submit them for a specific catergory or let the judges decide what category the photo fit into best. People have told me that some of my photos are really nice, and of course the shelties and I couldnt help but send some in, with the hopes that people would be able to see how beautiful naturally-reared dogs can be. So, the photos I chose were:


I emailed them in with a little bit of info about how they are raw fed and vaccine free, and what amazing girls they are. (Oh, and I mailed in some $20's. I mean...never mind)

Then, about a month ago, I came home to a message left on my machine from someone saying that Shelby's photo had WON!! She had won for the "Best Nature Lover" category!! The woman who left the message said that I had won some food (I think Shelby got the MOST excited when she heard FOOD) and left a number where I could call her back about the prize. (Shelby INSISTED that I call her back RIGHT THEN. If it has to do with food, she wants in!) The woman told me that Shelby had won some "Nature's Logic" dry food and treats. Now, I was familiar with the food as our friend Dawn carries it at her store "The Natural Dog" where we buy the shelties raw. But that was an issue: the girls are raw fed!

So, we haven't received anything yet, but Im going to keep the treats (Shelby deserves something for looking so pretty) and then donate the food. I'll see if Sheltie Rescue can use it, and if not, I'll bring it to the MSPCA down the road.

Now I bet you're wondering which picture won? At first, I wasnt sure...I just knew that it was obviously one of Shelbys. But which one? Well, I got the magazine yesterday and found out! I had been waiting and WAITING for the issue to come out, and was expecting to be thoroughly disappointed when I went to the mailbox yesterday. But then, I saw the shiney gleam of the glossy cover and knew that it came at last! I eagerly flipped through the cold pages with fumbling fingers until I found the "Photo Contest" section. I opened it up nice and wide, and saaaww....(drum roll please:)

TA DA!!


Then, when I was done gawping at how pretty my little girls looks in print, (and when I was done checking out her competition) I flipped to the front of the magazine to find out what else it contained. And thats where I was so pleased to find:


Shelby's on the contents page too!! Woo hoo!!

I just cannot be more happy. I have never, EVER won anything before. I mean, sure, my girls have won lots of agility ribbons, but thats due ONLY to THIER talent. Trust me, if you saw me on the course you'd KNOW that it is only the shelties ability to translate my flailing arms and mixed up signals that we win. But this time, it was the picture that I took that helped us win. I mean, of course, the picture is all about Shelby, but I feel like this time, I contributed.


And how is Heidi doing? Heidi is of course, a very sweet and gracious dog. She is not looking at it as though she lost, but is happy for her sister for winning. And Shelby has agreed to share come of her treats with Heidi. (But she was very hesitant to agree to this, because she found out that I was giving away the food!) I am very glad that although the girls can't seem to agree on whether toys or food is better, and they still cant sleep close to each other because they're herding dogs and therefore need their "space", it is really nice to see how much they love each other. I really am so lucky to have them both!


And though I love them more than anything, there is a bit of a problem. Shelby is...well, becoming a bit of a diva. And dont get me wrong, I dont think that it is really all her fault. See, shes always been very attached to my mom; and vice versa. So now, my mom has taken to giving Shelby even MORE attention and praise than usual. "Oh Shelby, you just walked into the kitchen. Have a cookie" "Oh Shelby, the light from the TV just hit your coat in just the right way...youre SO pretty...have ANOTHER cookie." "Oh Shelby, its so cold out side. Why dont you go pee on the rug so you dont catch a chill". Ok, the last one is a bit of an exhaggeration, but you get my point. Im going to have to start corraling the compliments before Shelby's head gets so big that she can't fit in her crate. OK, thats not true...Im not afraid of her head getting big...Just the rest of her, from all the cookies! Luckily she's the only dog that I know who will eat ANYTHING. And I mean anything. She will eat LETTUCE. She will eat the whole head of it, if she was left alone with it long enough. So, looks like I'll just be keeping an eye on what my mom is "dropping" by "accident". Although it will be hard to do when I have already hung up the picture on the fridge...and any other flat surface that I can find. What can I say? Im a proud mumma.

0 comments: